About Me

My photo
I am a mother of three boys and one girl, my youngest son Walker is developmentally delayed with no diagnosis, I am divorced and re-married, living life as I never imagined. I may be cynical, but I try to see the world as it is.... no frills but plenty of laughs.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day 17: Something you're looking forward to

Due to family vacation and Irene this program was temporarily interupted. Back to schedule though:

One thing I am really looking forward to is starting back at school and being a teaching assistant for the Women's Studies department.  The class that I am ta-ing in is Education of Self.  I took this class as an undergrad and it really opened my eyes to the privileges i take for granted being a white middle class woman.   I am especially excited to see other students go through personal changes and become aware of their own selves while working closely with an amazing professor!

Most of the curriculum is about identifying patterns of behavior that one would like to change in themselves, then trying out new models of behavior, analyzing it and then working out a solution. This is a important process to learn and can be used through out life. As a person, I am always wanting to learn and grow and better myself and this class gives students the tools to do such.

Working in the classroom with an experiential based program is also a lot of fun!  Students do many activities that make them think about how they view the world, how they fit and who has made up those rules. Until taking classes as an undergrad at New Paltz, I never knew these types of classes existed!

I wish everyone could take this course, more importantly i wish everyone could see the value in these types of classes, because the world would be a much better place!

No comments: