About Me

My photo
I am a mother of three boys and one girl, my youngest son Walker is developmentally delayed with no diagnosis, I am divorced and re-married, living life as I never imagined. I may be cynical, but I try to see the world as it is.... no frills but plenty of laughs.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Frustration on the Hudson

Today was a tough day. My family and I attended a relatives wedding. It was a nice simple occasion. The ceremony and reception were all in one place and it had breathtaking views of the hudson river.

The reason it was tough was because my little guy was miserable the whole time! I should know better by now, you might say. But it is such a hard delima. The wedding took place at 2pm which is smack in the middle of his usual nap time. He doesn't sleep well anywhere else but his own bed. So he napped shortly in the hour car ride there. Then the music and clapping and noise started, which is part of any happy occasion. Unfortunetly, it was just way to much for him! Top it off with his new improved screams and you have one miserable two year old, and one unhappy daddy. Luckily, my husband was able to take him outside and air him out. But it was still upsetting.

Part of me wants to not subject him to these types of events. I know he will hate it, I know that the stimulation is just to much and then to add all the other components into the mix and its a horror. But how will he ever be able to handle these events if he doesn't go? Do I really want to subject him to a life time of isolation? Would this be setting him up for it?

Its so hard. So frustrating, so upsetting. The dj played a Billy Joel song while we were there after I had calmed him down and he was sitting nicely in my lap. It made me cry, "I love you just the way you are".

No comments: