About Me

My photo
I am a mother of three boys and one girl, my youngest son Walker is developmentally delayed with no diagnosis, I am divorced and re-married, living life as I never imagined. I may be cynical, but I try to see the world as it is.... no frills but plenty of laughs.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

A new direction

Today was another day in our adventure with Walker. We traveled down to Great Neck NY, (which is long island for most of us country folk) to see a man about an oxygen tank.

Its called Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Most of us probably haven't heard of it, some may have. Its been around for a very long time, but only used to treat carbon monoxide poisoning, burns and a few other issues. It has been on the underground circuit for the Autism community for awhile now.

I've did my research prior to our visit, in fact, i chose this clinic because its tank or chamber is all glass and the person inside can see out etc. The appointment was for a consultation and I have to say that I felt like I was talking to someone who has been in my head for the last two years!!

The doctor is a pediatrician who for the last 30 years treated children and finally got sick of seeing a lot of children coming in with autism and other disorders with no explanation. He didn't want to accept, that this is "just how it is". He consults with the clinic once a week to assist people just like us.

Yes, he thinks that the therapy can help walker, but there is not real measurement to say exactly how many sessions would be needed and at what pressure his body would respond.

No, he did not take our money and have us sign on the dotted line. He feels that there are other things we need to look into before going gun ho with this treatment.

First, he wants to look at our insurance and see what he can categorize the therapy under to see if we can get some of it covered. Next, he wants to do another MRI, but this time using dye to see where the oxygen is going in Walkers brain. (This will also help us establish a starting point, that if there are changes due to the therapy we will have documented) Also, he looked at the metabolic work up that was done recently which we were told was "normal". But clearly, right on the test results many of Walker's levels were not in the Normal range. What does that mean? We don't know, but we need to investigate and not take 'normal' as okay, when clearly it is not!

I liked this man's attitude, he wasn't a sales man, and seemed to really connect with the kids. (as he walked back and forth through the waiting room he addressed every child and parent!)

So, we don't have any more answers.... but I feel that this may be a good direction we are going in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so wonderful! I can imagine that this is a huge relief to you! ~Courtney