About Me

My photo
I am a mother of three boys and one girl, my youngest son Walker is developmentally delayed with no diagnosis, I am divorced and re-married, living life as I never imagined. I may be cynical, but I try to see the world as it is.... no frills but plenty of laughs.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

If you need me this weekend....

This weekend I am setting out to try a new adventure.  Well, not necessarily new, I just haven't done it in almost ten years!  But the new part is doing it  somewhat by myself!  Yup, I am going camping!  Why? you wonder? why not?

A few months ago I was talking to a good friend about my need to take breaks from the family.  I didn't want to travel extravagantly, or spend tons of money in hotel rooms just so I could get a night of uninterrupted sleep.  He suggested that I buy a tent and start camping.  To him this sounded like a logical idea, but I had to remind him that for a man, this was not big deal, but for a woman, it wasn't necessarily the safest choice to make.  I don't think I would feel comfortable unless I was camping in my sister's yard..., and that pretty much defeated the point.  This really bugged me though!  My friend has spent a vacation biking around Prince Edward Island, he camped and enjoyed the solitude.  I was jealous!  I wanted that!  Honestly though, I'm not sure I could handle it though either.  The only other time that I had traveled by myself was with my old job, and it was weird to be in a hotel room just with myself for company. Luckily, I had lots of work to keep me busy.  This made me sad.  It made me wonder why can't I be by myself?

A month ago I overheard my sister's friends planning their annual camping trip.  They go twice a year up to a friends property upstate and camp for four days.  It has evolved into an "event" equipped with a pig roast, Chicken BBQ and rumored a truck with four kegs on tap. (not that i am a beer drinker) So I thought to myself, this would be perfect.  I could bring my own tent, camp out and partake in the activities in the manner I best saw fit. So I wiggled my way on the invite list and now this weekend is here!

I have to admit, I am pretty excited!  I can't remember the last time I had to only pack and plan for just myself!  I have enjoyed being self sufficient planning and packing and plan to really relax and enjoy myself!  If I want to go for a run, I can, whenever I want!  If I want to just sit and read..... I CAN!  Sure for the younger campers its more about the food and beverages, I on the other hand will get to experience a quasi solo camping trip with in the safety of a group!  Its not about reliving my youth... or running away (okay maybe a little), but more about something that I personally want to do for myself! Plus, I'll have my camera.. and sure to get some good shots of some pretty funny sh&t!!

No comments: