About Me

My photo
I am a mother of three boys and one girl, my youngest son Walker is developmentally delayed with no diagnosis, I am divorced and re-married, living life as I never imagined. I may be cynical, but I try to see the world as it is.... no frills but plenty of laughs.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Scratch, scratch

This July will mark the seventh year that I quit my full time job in corporate America to return to school.  I guess you could say I have the seven year itch!  I am itching to get on with my career goals, itching to experience how such a monumental decision can really impact my life. 

It wasn't an easy choice, I had a good paying job in which I had been at for almost eight years.  I was comfortable but I knew something was missing.  Sure I had determination and drive, but the path that lay in front of me did not fit into the view I had of myself. I didn't like who I was becoming. 

After some serious soul searching, I put in my notice and begged my father for a job bartending.  I knew that with school and two children, I needed to make the most amount of money in the least amount of time.  It fit the bill for the next three years.

But then life happens.

Today, I am back in grad school. I am hoping that my gaining more educational credentials I will be able to get in the door at a non-profit organization.  I am hoping to find one that serves the community and implements education in some form. This may sound all well in good but I can't find a job.  My issue now is that its been 7 years since I've had a full time job, so the gap in my working history is huge.  I am in a swampy mess.  My resume for corporate America is dusty and my "new" ambitions aren't evident.  I've been advised to volunteer at an organization that I feel strongly about, but haven't figured out how to put more hours in my week to be able to do so.

So here I sit, with a rash that is spreading... scratch, scratch......

1 comment:

~ Mama said...

Maybe try small scale volunteering to start. A lot of places need online volunteers or at home volunteers, even if it's as minimal as stuffing envelopes after the kids go to bed. Baby steps, you'll get there!!