About Me

My photo
I am a mother of three boys and one girl, my youngest son Walker is developmentally delayed with no diagnosis, I am divorced and re-married, living life as I never imagined. I may be cynical, but I try to see the world as it is.... no frills but plenty of laughs.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

An alternative me

With 2011 fast approaching I have been thinking a lot today about New Year's Resolutions.  I must admit that I really don't believe in them.  I have always felt that if you wanted to change something about yourself you should just do it!  Making a list on a certain date doesn't hold you any  more accountable for yourself than any other time of the year. But lately, I have been thinking about different things that I would love to change about myself.  I am an eclectic personality.  Some days I am in my mother role, others, my professional side takes over but mostly I think about how I would want to be more alternative. When I say alternative I mean I have visions of joining a commune, or camping across America during the summer.  There are so many things I want to do and experience but my current lifestyle doesn't really warrant them.  Sure, I have a compost pile and I recycle, but that just doesn't feel like enough.  There is a woman I have encountered at my job that I think is the symbolic sense of who I want to be.  She has dreads and is very creative and makes jewelry.  Its not really the hair or the clothes that i envy its what she represents to me: an alternative life style.  But exactly how does one go about changing yourself?  I think its more about incorporating little by little, the important things into your life and slowly you evolve.  Maybe I've just romanticized about it and when the day comes and I am plowing my own fields and milking my cows, it won't feel so alternative.  For now though, I will keep composting, keep recycling and allow myself to make resolutions all throughout the year.    

No comments: